Wednesday 24 April 2013

The Art of Typography - online course


I'm very excited to say I'll be running an online course called The Art of Typography in partnership with Skillshare. The course will be perfect for designers, illustrators, artists and people who regularly make presentations. I'll show you how to use typography most effectively for communication. We will look at how different typefaces can give off different messages. I'll show you how world famous brands use typography within their visual identity to enhance their brand message. And we will have lots of fun creating your own typefaces - digitally, hand drawn and maybe even with food! 

Your new skills and knowledge will then be put to practise in your project to illustrate a favourite quote or lyric. There will be lots of opportunity for feedback and encouragement from myself and fellow students. 

I've had a passion for typography since my design degree and then working with a great typographer in my first job. I'm really looking forward to sharing my knowledge and love for the subject. Sound like your type of course?! the course kicks off on the 14th June 2013... if you use the discount code ALPHA that will get you 15% off the $20 enrolment fee. 

If you have any questions about the course please don't hesitate to get in touch... 

9 comments:

  1. Hi Faye!

    Im really interested in doing your course but I just had a quick question. Do you need to have Photoshop to take part. I am just about to start a Graphic Design course but at this time don't have the programme, but I would still love to join in just to understand the theory side even if I couldn't take part in the practical. Please let me know :) Kathryn.
    www.creativememo.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry I should have sent that comment as a reply!! please read below :)

      Delete
  2. Hey Kathryn - lovely blog!
    So you don't need any programmes - there will be a few tutorials showing you how to do some things in adobe illustrator but you can do the whole course without any programmes if you wish. I encourage hand drawn lettering and getting creative with objects also!
    You might decide to download 30 day trial versions of photoshop and illustrator - if you do this, I'd advise you to try and fit in as many online tutorials as you can in that time so you really get to know the programmes. So maybe time that in with your graphic design course.
    Would love you to join in! don't forget to use the discount code ALPHA for 15% off. All the videos and content stay up so you can always come back to it.
    Ask any other questions you need x

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's wonderful, thank you Faye! I shall definitely be signing up today. My GD course starts in September (very exciting) so I know your course will be a wonderful help to me getting started, and I'm slowly becoming quite obsessed with the world of typography. Thanks so much again for your fabulous advice and I'll look forward to the 14th June! :D *thank you for your kind words too about my blog too :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. excellent, can't wait to see you in class! x

      Delete
  4. Hi Faye! Just wondering how long the course material is available for after enrolling? I'd love to sign up but have quite a bit on the go at the moment and probably wouldn't get through it in the allotted time frame. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kylie! so the course stays online forever, so once you are enrolled you should be able to access all the videos and resources whenever you'd like. So no worries about time frames.
      During the first few weeks I'll be giving as much feedback as possible and answering your questions... but I will try to log in as regular as possible there after to keep up to date with everyone's projects.
      Hope you can join us! x

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Faye...that's great! x

    ReplyDelete